This section includes resources related to Rapid Re-Housing Programs (typically intended for people with mid-acuity who have experienced transitional or episodic homelessness who do not require longer-term intensive supports to remain housed) from the National Alliance to End Homelessness (NAEH).
5 Module Webinar Series on Rapid Re-housing (2012)
This section includes key resources for Housing First Programs (providing longer-term intensive housing-based support in housing of people’s choice throughout the community) with an implementation focus.
- Canadian Housing First Toolkit – a great website for communities looking to implement Housing First Programs. Includes sections on overview, plan, implement, evaluate and sustain and has a whole “resources” section with sample policies, procedures, job descriptions etc.
- HUD’s Housing First Implementation Resources (2018) – a website with resources organized in the following four sections: 1) Housing First Implementation, 2) Working with Project Participants in a Housing First Approach, 3) Housing First in Specific Project Types, and 4) Trauma Informed Care.
- Housing First Europe Guide (FEANTSA, 2016) – An on-line guide available in multiple languages with 12 videos and quizzes to support learning. The six chapters include: 1) What is Housing First, 2) Core Principles of Housing First, 3) Delivering Support in Housing First, 4) Delivering Housing in Housing First, 5) Evaluating Housing First, 6) Housing First and the Wider Strategy. See this 1 min teaser video introducing the Guide.
- Permanent Supportive Housing Kit (SAMSHA, 2010) – this on-line toolkit from the US Substance Abuse and and Mental Health Services Administration includes sections on: getting started, building your program, training frontline staff, tools for tenants, evaluating your program, the evidence, using multimedia and a brochure.
- Toolkit for Intensive Case Management In Canada (2018) – a 43-page resource book available for download from the Community Workspace on Homelessness that includes sections on assessing, managing, staffing, housing, and discharge and includes examples from Canadian communities.
- Case Studies (COH, 2013) – from communities in Canada and around the world
Housing First (and Family First) for Youth
A Way Home blogs on Housing First for Youth (HF4Y)
Housing First for Indigenous Peoples
Housing First Checklists and Self-Assessment Tools
Housing First Fact Sheets
Housing First Videos
This section includes resources related to fixed-site supportive housing programs (providing longer-term intensive housing-based support typically connected to a particular building/units).
Corporation for Supportive Housing (CSH)
Moving On Strategies
This section includes resources that could apply to one or more of the housing with support programs above (Rapid Re-Housing, Housing First, and Supportive Housing).
- Implementing Housing First in Permanent Supportive Housing – 2 pager (USICH, 2014)
- Safety Planning for Survivors of Domestic and Sexual Violence: A Toolkit for Housing Programs (NASH, 2018)
- Promising Practices: 12 Case Studies in Supportive Housing for People with Mental Health and Addiction Issues – (Addictions and Mental Health Ontario, 2018) – program descriptions from a mix of mobile and fixed-site Ontario supportive housing programs.
- Ontario Supportive Housing Best Practice Guide (2017)
- Ontario Supportive Housing Policy Framework (2017)
- Region of Waterloo PATHS Framework and Portable Home-Based Support (HBS) Framework (2017) – describes rapid re-housing and housing first program.
- Standards of Practice: Case Management for Ending Homelessness – (Calgary Homeless Foundation, 2014)
- Beyond the Key to the Front Door: A Guide to Helping Tenants Keep Their Home (Mainstay Housing, 2005) – outlines 5 key measures to success developed by tenants and support workers along with sample tools pg. 17-28: 1) Choice not Placement, 2) Move-In Orientation, 3) Regular Home Visits, 4) System for Paying the Rent, and 5) Communication between Landlord, Tenant and Agency.